Tuesday, June 1, 2021

celebrating a trio with carolyn

"Actually, that's not quite right, as ya well know."

What about it isn't correct?

"That bit of insinuation that you and she had seen these three movies together. You haven't, that's all I'm saying."

Hmmm... yes, I suppose one might infer that from the title, but, no, it certainly isn't the case. I was just marking the successful completion of a three-movie week for my A*List membership.

"Very well, then, lass, continue."

Thanks, I'll do that. Anywho, as I'd mentioned, I finally managed to catch a trio of flicks at the AMC cinemas, starting with Friday's second viewing of "Demon Slayer: Mugen Train", again in the spoken Japanese. What a fun piece of work about kids wanting to change the world for the better!

"Oh, yes, I most certainly did enjoy that one! Quite a bit of humor in it!"

Most def! There was a lot of humor in "Cruella", too! I had been concerned about this latest Disney film, as the hype around it was crazy. My biggest fear had been that it would be another debacle like having George Clooney as the Dark Knight in a Batman movie. I love Clooney and I love Michael Keaton's Batman, but the two things did not belong together. It's akin to mixing pickles and grape jelly - ack, ack, ack. Carolyn totally understood where I was coming from with that.

"So she was with you for that viewing? What about for the anime flick?"

Yes, she was with me for the tale of the two Emmas; no, she had not accompanied me for the first film. Yes, she and I both adored the prequel to "101 Dalmatians"! Great music throughout, featuring older rock songs as sung by today's artists, so quite pleasing to three generations of viewers. That's not to say it was a musical, mind you, just that it has a fabulously full soundtrack. It's got a lot of the flavor of the original movie - that's to say that its full of humor from the two sidekicks for both women. Very nice!

"So glad to hear it, love! Guess that means it'll be up for multiple viewings in the coming weeks, eh?"

Yes, I'm sure it will be! We might opt for earlier rather than later, though, as there is a team of poachers preying upon AMC Classic 11. We found that out tonight, sadly, but the manager and usher were quite good at clearing out the riffraff. Carolyn had mentioned that she had not yet seen "Dream Horse", and I had intended to go see "Cruella" again, but instead I had surprised her for the Welsh film. I'm so glad I was there for her!

"Well, she has been quite a love about keeping you distracted and accompanied with all the turmoil of your brother's death last month."

She assuredly has. That's why, when the movie began and trouble started, I sprang into action. The two blonde, female, teens right behind us had kept up their chatter, and had been joined by two black, male, teens clad in red and white. Carolyn had nicely asked that they be quiet, but the kids had laughed and carried on. Clearly, the foursome was not there to watch this art house movie. So, when Carolyn had looked at me, and the teens had blown off my request for silence during the movie, I rose from my seat and stared the kids down. Then, I headed to the front, paused in a very obvious fashion to take their photo, then headed toward the cinema lobby.

"Oh, my, that could have gotten a bit ugly. I'm sure they didn't fancy havin' their picture taken, now did they? "

Apparently not. Carolyn told me that one of the boys had jumped up, saying "Watch this", and headed after me. The other boy followed suit a few moments later. Then the girls left together. I had no idea the boys had tried to follow me. My guess is they didn't know I was a fast walker! By the time the two new girls at the concession counter had flagged down the usher and he had gotten the manager, Janice, involved, I'm sure the troublemakers were already out of that screening room and wreaking havoc elsewhere in the cinema. Poachers!

"Well, that was certainly a bit of excitement. And they didn't return?"

They did not. The usher kept popping by every so often, but the gang of four must have found some other people to disturb. I'll have to be sure to tell Hunter about it when next I see him. Honestly, all I had to do was mention his name and the staff jumped to help me. I'll be sure to tell him that, too!

"I'm glad to hear it hasn't thrown you off your going to movies."

Quite right!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Well, get this!
Carolyn and I went to see "Cruella" tonight for our second time, at the AMC 10.
Afterward, we're chatting in the parking lot and she says, "Oh, I have a message for you from the usher at the 11!"
Oh, this should be good, I thought.
"He told me to let you know they caught the two boys who had been poaching and they never would have been able to do it without your help."
Wow! How about that?!
We had seen "Dream Horse" on Tuesday.
She had returned the next night to see it again, as she had enjoyed it so much.
She was the only one in the screening room that night.
At the end, the usher was right there and told her that he and the manager had gone from room to room the previous night and caught the two boys who were auditorium-hopping.
He told her that he had not been familiar with poachers, but they knew of them now, thanks to "your friend who'd brought us in that night".
I'm betting they'll keep an eye out for them from now on.
Summer is just getting started, and I'm sure other teens will be trying to get something for nothing.
I'm just glad I was able to help one of my favorite places stay in business.