Thursday, January 23, 2020

checking my PULSE since 2008


Tonight clearly demonstrated that the science program at the Jepson, now in its thirteenth year, has hit puberty and is growing up.
"Designing The Future: A Climate For Change" was a showcase of technology to better the community and the world, rather than meant for primarily entertainment value.
Not that there's anything wrong with using technology to enhance the world of computer science and grab the attention of youth and adults alike - no, not at all.
However, it was refreshing to be introduced to these advancements that have been made to improve life on this blue-green planet, and to learn of more such projects which are both underway and planned.
With the subtitle of this lecture being "the future of sustainable design, carbon neutral aviation, and sea level sensors", I had high hopes of good news. It delivered on all three points, with an emphasis on both local and world benefits.
Paula McEvoy was up first. She's with Perkins & Will, the firm tasked with designing the new arena in Savannah. She presented the shining example of their work, the green Interface property in Atlanta. Very reassuring to look forward to that type of structure here!
Charles Etter of Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. had the second slot on the podium. He had an update on the use of SAF, aka sustainable aviation fuel, a blend which is 30% ethanol. That's three times more than used in automobile fuels! Very impressive!
Russell Clark was the final speaker of the night. He's with Georgia Institute of Technology, my stepdad's alma mater. This man spoke at length on a topic dear to my heart: the ocean. In particular, the Smart Sea Level Sensors project is a joint venture of Georgia Tech with CEMA and the City of Savannah, meant to engage the seaport's citizens in helping to monitor the waterways that sustain our livelihood. From public officials to teachers, from property owners to developers, all can participate! Very uplifting!

Last night had also offered up a trio of presenters, though all dealt more with the art side of technology-enhanced creations.
What does that mean?
Well, primarily, these were the ones who provided the new exhibits for this year's PULSE festival.
That meant more stuff, like my dear SWARM, for me to play with on my visits to the museum!
Alicia Eggert was the first up and clearly was a fun-loving artist!
I do believe this piece, "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" was my favorite, not just because of the Hollywood-inspired pun but also for the Barbra Streisand-voiced lyrics that instantly were cued up by the jukebox in my brain.
It's actually a time-lapsed piece of art, so be sure to view it here.
This interactive piece, titled "Anti-Vanity Mirror", is the work of Neil Mendoza.
It would surely have driven mad Snow White's evil stepmother!
Anyone standing in front of it will not see their image, as the mirror would have shifted away.
So, how did I get this photo?
I stood before the device, but held my camera out to the side, to capture my shifted image.
Pretty clever, n'est-ce pas?

 
But as for my favorite this year, it would have to be the works by R. Luke Dubois that make up "Hindsight Is Always 20/20" - and not just because its name reflects that of my blog for this year.
(smile!)
For each President (up to 2008), he has taken the top 66 words in their State of the Union address and used them, in order of repetition, to compose eye charts.
This one is for the speech given by Lyndon B. Johnson  and is rather telling, isn't it?
I'll have to remember to send the link to the psychologist.
Given the brfb's love of politics, he'll most def enjoy it!

Now, I would talk about the receptions I attended last night and tonight...
but I'm in danger of being late to a burlesque show!
I will say that the one tonight was up to the usual high standards again.
Hallelujah for that!
Okay, gotta jet over to Club One!
Later!

No comments: