Sunday, February 9, 2020

hair love in the neighbor's window

The more I see Brad Pitt, the more I appreciate what a good man he is.
First, he had that inspiring speech at the Golden Globes.
Then, tonight, with his Oscar acceptance speech, he was equally loving and giving,
nearly tearing up at one point.
As I was then, I was again, watching the show at Barbara's with Sandy and Carolyn.
We were all quite taken with Brad, I must say.
(smile)
I was also quite taken with 45-year-old Joaquin Phoenix.
His acceptance speech, for his first Oscar ever, spoke of second chances, treating
all people with respect, showing compassion for those different from us, being kind
to animals, fostering education.
That was very good, but I most loved the addendum that followed.
"Run to the rescue with love, and peace will follow."
That was a quote from a song written by his late brother, River.
How very kind to bring attention to the causes and the music of an oldest sibling
who died 26 years ago...
and how very appropriate that the song was titled "Halo".
That shows me that Joaquin has grown into a good man, too.
(smile)

Anyway, as I was writing this, I realized that I had not written about our excursion downtown to the new Savannah Cultural Arts Center!
That happened on the last Friday - and last day - of last month.
Tomasz, and his CinemaSavannah group, had brought a collection of seven Oscar-nominated shorts for our viewing pleasure.
"Hair Love" was delightful and reminded me of Michael trying to tend to his daughters' hair.
(That was the Oscar winner!)
"Memorable", a serious piece of animation, shone a revealing light on Alzheimer's disease.
"Kitbull", a film about an unlikely friendship, gave a side glance at abandoned pets and dogfighting.
"Une Soeur" began the live-action set with a 911 dispatcher trying to assist a kidnapped woman - such an incredibly tense short!
"The Neighbor's Window", which won the category's Oscar, was a reminder that someone is always watching an open window.
"Brotherhood" was a very sad piece about a father betraying a son.
The final screening, a very upbeat look at a good use for "white powder", was "Nefta Football Club". It was a funny joke about misheard names (Adele, not Hadel), too!
The photos were at Rancho Alegre for our dinner afterward!
Mi dos amigas, the cleaned plate of ropa vieja, and my capirinha, the Brizilian version of a mojito!
So blessed am I!

No comments: