Thursday, February 20, 2020

americana fifties, quaker sidebar

As soon as I saw the event's poster, I thought of my bfe.
If ever a man was born out of his time, he was.
He is such a fan of television from the 50's, shows like "The George Burns And Gracie Allen Show" and films with the Marx Brothers.
I could tell this was going to be his cuppa for sure!
I knew that its film noir essence was certainly mine.
(smile!)

So, tonight was the night!
We began our evening at The Outback, a place I hardly ever frequent... but a place I had requested.
I have been craving beef, having even gone to Arby's for a giant "roast beast" sandwich on Sunday.
I meant to take a photo of the 6-ounce, perfectly medium, Victoria's Filet... but I was too eager to tear into it ti think of my camera.
Oh well! It sure was good!
(smile!)

The Masquers' "Red Herring" - in Jenkins' Black Box - began with this red blanket on a rickety bed.
Nice joke for the Communist-heavy triple love affairs!
There were so many mid-50's references, too, like Nixon's Checkers Speech in 1952, the McCarthy hearings of 1954, A-bomb tests on Bikini Atoll - fabulous!
Coupled with the fashions and the way that they spoke, it was definitely a trip back in time, worthy of a late night for the physicist!
(smile!)

Here's the Secrest, by the way, looking quite professorial in this snazzy sweater jacket from The 'Cole.
He gave me a truly wonderful idea during our talks.
I'm going to turn the guest room into my dance area, but I'm going to name it in honor of him and the Peace Guy, my two longest tenants of that space.
Plus, I'll be hanging photos of them, for all to admire!
(smile!)

Now to figure out how to incorporate these into that room's new look.
After all, he gave me crabs, not once but thrice, so I should certainly let everyone know!
Plus, Joe had balled me, Coach-style, so that needs to be displayed, too!
Yes, I think I'm going to have some fun with this bit of inspiration... yes, I will!
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

What did I mean about "Quaker sidebar"?
Well, I initially meant the wedding ceremony at the end of the play.
Now that I think about it, though, I must have had the Peace Guy in mind, at least subconsciously.
(smile!)

faustina said...

I've been trying to pinpoint when the two friends were living with me in the guest room. Here's what I can say for sure.
The bfe moved in on June 5, 2017, as written here
https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2017/06/a-rose-from-banana.html
and moved out the first weekend of October, 2017.
http://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2017/10/movin-on-up.html

The Peace Guy was living with me by early February, 2013
https://beachoffaustina.blogspot.com/2013/02/i-thank-you-god.html
and moved to ATL in early August, 2013.
https://beachoffaustina.blogspot.com/2013/08/bridge-builder.html