Saturday, February 1, 2020

consider the source

I managed to talk the bfrb into seeing "Parasite" for last week's Tina Tuesday.
That's because I had been told the foreign-language film was a horror movie, so that's what I had told him.
He's a big fan of the horror, so every once in a while I agree to that genre.
What was my source for that movie misinformation?
Mi tres amigas.
They had gone to see it primarily because Tomasz had brought it in last year, before the AMC Cinemas had it, to screen for Cinema Savannah.
According to Barbara and Carolyn and Sandy, the film was essentially two different movies, with the horror show as the second part.
However, they were all raised in higher middle class households, attending private girl-only schools and even having finishing classes for young women.
Not so for me.
I had none of that.
With a gambling father, public school was all the four of us ever had.
Public schools, co-ed classes.
When you add in that I lived with three brothers, it's even clearer why I am not girly like my three girlfriends are.
I'm not saying that I like horror, mind.
I'm saying "Parasite" was not of that ilk.
It's a class-struggle movie, with a bit of violence wreaked when the father of the poorer class has too much denigration by the father of the richer class.
It truly is quite an insight to life in South Korea.

"Gretel & Hansel" was one I saw on my own today.
I had seen the previews for it and decided against it, thinking it a horror show with much violence toward children.
Not my cup of tea, at all.
However, after the panda had raved about it and said he'd see it again - say what?! Him?! Spend money to see a movie multiple times in a cinema?! - I looked it up on this site and decided to judge for myself.
I'm so glad I did.
I've always enjoyed fairy tales, whether fractured or not.
This retelling of the classic, with the emphasis on the girl, was captivating.
It was a story of love between the older sister and the much younger brother.
It was a tale of a girl on the cusp of womanhood, having to make difficult choices.
It was girl power triumphing an evil witch, good winning out over evil.
Everything I like...
and excellent music, too.
The bfrb is a child psychologist, so he knows a story with meaning when he hears it.
I'm so glad I listened and went to this supposed horror movie.

Ya gotta consider the source.

No comments: