Monday, February 17, 2020

egbdf

That acronym was a clue in my post-brunch crossword puzzle.
Immediately, my mind recognized it as a mnemonic learned at Myers Middle School.
As a girl who'd been growing up singing along to the radio with Mama, I had naturally gravitated toward the Glee club on that campus.
So, I knew that "Every Good Boy Does Fine".
(smile)

Since that was the second time in as many days that I'd been reminded of that period of my youth, I thought I should write of the first time.
That was on Sunday.
I'd missed the service, but I was sure to be there - yes, even though the weather had shifted to rainy and cold - for the free concert afterward.
Deland High Chorus was in town to partake of Savannah's 31SBHF activities, ending their visit here at Asbury Memorial UMC.
The link above is for "Bonse Aba",
a song performed during the service earlier and then again as the first tune in this concert.
The 30-member contingent of the 180-strong chorus included components of its different groups.
Here, the all-female Dolce Vita performed a very lively number that I loved: "Viva La Musica".
How magnificent!
Definitely a toe-tapper and shoulder-wagger for me!
"Hallelujah For The Day" was another new favorite for me!
But it was the all-male rendition of "Shenandoah" that transported back in time - I remembered that folk song from my days in the Glee club!
The closing song, performed by all, with the "Man of La Mancha" set as backdrop, was also one I recalled from that time.
"Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing" -
hallelujah and amen!
How appropriate for this month!
i thank You, God.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Before I leave, here's the meaning of 31SBHF: 31st Savannah Black Heritage Festival.
More on those activities later this week, I promise.
Oh, the things I have learned this month!
As Frederick Douglass said, "Knowledge is power" - so try to learn something new every day.