Sunday, December 5, 2021

skipping church

This first Sunday of the month once would have had several special goings on.
First, there would have been communion... but that will not be until the Christmas Eve service.
Second, there would have been the BIG Coffee Hour, with all lunching and visiting in Holliday Hall... but, with the pandemic stepping up and its latest variant heading for the USA, that social gathering won't be convening any time soon.
Now, I'm not saying we didn't have special events today...
I made the choice to stay home, though, and view them stream-style.
I'm glad I did.
I would have enjoyed being there in person for the reinstatement of Children's Church.
I like that little break in the proceedings between initial prayers and Billy's sermon, plus I enjoy seeing all the cheerful faces of the youngsters.
In honor of this event, Reverend Hester began with a variation of the invitation tv's Mister Rogers would give to children to visit his neighborhood.
When the children approached the front of the church, each was given a commemorative Christmas ornament to honor the occasion, with each being unique, like each child.
That was very nice!
Today, we also sang one of my favorite hymns: "Cuando El Pobre".
I promise, one day I'm going to ask if I can sing it in Spanish!
(smile!)
So, those are the two events I would have liked to attend in person.
This next one I'm glad I had the option to turn off and leave.
A nationally renowned speaker, Shane Claiborne, had been invited by those in charge to take the podium.
I had already looked him up, finding that he was a Red Letter Christian and quite a political activist, neither of which I am.
I had been a bit concerned about the publicity surrounding his visit to Asbury Memorial Church, concerned about what reaction might be forthcoming from those who had supported the former President, concerned about the size of the crowd that might be attracted.
Still, I had tuned in to the YouTube channel for the stream, so I was definitely interested in what he would say and his message.
However, I stayed for only the first ten minutes.
He preaches in an evangelical style that I do not like.
Billy doesn't yell at us; this guy did.
This was a change I could not support.
Off will go the computer while I find something more positive to pursue!
I'm glad I had reserved the option to do so.

No comments: