Tuesday, November 9, 2021

hitting a triple without even trying

Just how did I do that, you ask, and what am I talkin' 'bout?
Well, let me say this about that: I had a double header today and it was done at two cinemas in two towns.
As a reminder, the GTC in Pooler has cheapie movies on Tuesdays, and today was Tuesday.
As I-16 is under construction still/yet again/as always, I am not driving it at night.
So, I began my movie-hopping in that locale, seeing "The French Dispatch", a movie AMC had promised us, but had reneged.
As a Wes Anderson film, it was chockablock full of name brand actors, per usual, and I had very much looked forward to it.
It didn't quite deliver, though.
About halfway through, I suddenly realized that it seemed very familiar... and then it hit me what the issue was.
He had used the same format as he had for "Isle Of Dogs".
Yes, I realize that was totally animated and this one was not, though this did have some animated portions.
I'm saying the pacing and the block storytelling was the exact same for both movies.
That means that although I enjoyed this latest effort, I didn't love it.
I had loved "Isle Of Dogs", from the first time I saw it to the last time.
I'd gladly pay money to see it in the cinema again!
Yes, that's how strongly I feel about it.
I even wrote a game using several scenes in the movie!
(smile!)
So, where was I before my train jumped the track?
Oh, yes, heading back to Savannah for my second movie, to which I knew I would be late, but that was just fine.
I had already seen it once and so I knew I could easily miss the first twenty minutes and not miss any of the actual movie.
No, I am not referring to the block of previews AMC runs before each and every movie.
I'm talking of the "007's in love" prologue tacked on to the start of "No Time To Die".
And guess what?
Even with me walking in and buying my ticket at 3:49 pm... 
for the 3:00 pm screening of the movie...
I was perfectly in time to see the movie title and hear the movie opening song as the opening credits rolled into view.
How about that for perfect timing!
(smile!)
And as I watched, and thoroughly enjoyed, the exploits of Bond, James Bond, I came to realize that this was the perfect movie to be paired with the first one!
How so, is that the query?
Well, the two share three actors!
Seriously, I'm not making this up.
I know, it seems preposterous on the face of it, but... there you have it.
Jeffrey Wright is a food critic in the first and Bond's favorite CIA field agent in the next.
Christoph Waltz is first an art collector and then the Spectre mastermind, Blofeld.
Léa Seydoux is a prison guard/nude model for the first movie and then the pouty daughter of a hitman/psychotherapist for the second.
Very nice range, y'all!
And a surprisingly nice, better than expected, afternoon at the movies for me!
(smile!)

No comments: