Sunday, November 21, 2021

counting, committed, communing

This was the absolute high point of the service today: Reverend Hester breaking into a beloved song not scheduled for this morning, but entirely appropriate to his talk right before he sang.
Even better, he invited us to all sing along with him in the chorus, saying he hoped the church health committee would not take umbrage at his addition of this extra song.
As for me, I had begun singing with him as he first began the first verse, as it's a long-time favorite for me, too, even though it's no longer in the hymnal.
 
Here's the refrain:
name them one by one,
count your blessings,
see what God hath done;
Count your blessings, 
name them one by one;
Count your many blessings, 
see what God hath done. "
 
He then sang the fourth (last) verse and had us all sing the refrain again.
I was so glad I was there!
Right place, right time, after all.
 
I'd had my doubts when I'd pulled into the full parking lot... but I stayed.
Candace and Claudette were in the courtyard and greeted me enthusiastically... so I stayed.
Then I'd walked into the narthex and been greeted with a program as I stood to survey the sanctuary, scanning for a safe seat for a solo attendee and finding none... yet I continued to stay, standing in the doorway.
Eventually, I took a seat there in the lobby, with the statue made by Colleen's daughter keeping me company... 
plus, the brilliance of the day and its beaming love.
I was late, but I'd arrived in time to hear the thanks from the youth group, Asbury Angells, and from the youth director, for the funds and resources they had received during this continuing pandemic, so they could continue to hold weekly support meetings.
Right place, right time.

I'd made myself a promise to attend on this particular Sunday.
First, it was the third, and final, Commitment Sunday, where we, as a congregation, pledged to continue "our vow to support Asbury Memorial with our prayers, our presence, our gifts, and our service" so that "people will be renewed, fulfilled, and challenged".
That required a pledge of financial support (gifts) and I have renewed the pledge made last year to this church where I am a member.
Second, this was the final Sunday of the liturgical year in the liturgical calendar.
This day was the last Sunday of Ordinary Time; next Sunday, as the first Sunday of the church's New Year, will begin the four weeks of Advent. Christmastide (aka Twelvetide or The Twelve Days of Christmas) will follow for two weeks, then we're back to Ordinary Time until Easter approaches.
This marked the first time I've been here for a last Sunday.
Third, today was Communion Sunday. Usually that is the first Sunday of the month, but it was postponed to this one for reasons I forget. 
This was to be my first in-person Communion at AMC and I was curious about how it was to be done, what precautions would be taken to make it safe for those partaking of the elements.
With necessity being the mother of invention, I should have known that someone would have developed a solution... and here it is.
The hourglass-like container is sealed on both ends, with a tiny unleavened cracker in one half and a thimbleful of juice in the other half.
Sanitary, safe, and very easy to use, with no danger of a mess being made.
What I most enjoyed about it was how it made me feel: I was quite satisfied by the experience and truly felt I'd had a proper Communion, rather the makeshift ones I've done at home during Zoom church.
Right place, right time.

The only part of the service I did not feel satisfied with was the hymn selection for the congregation to sing between the Commitment and Communion portions.
It was "Spirit Song", one which creeps me out in much the same way as the Savannah Bananas' chant "We will, we will PEEL you!"
In this hymn, Jesus is repeatedly implored to "come and fill your lambs".
It just doesn't sound like a proper request to make.
The implication is that the person singing is not able to sustain their own belief and demand that God is responsible for their spirituality.
Like I said, it creeps me out, so I don't sing it.
I'm so glad Billy gave us "Count Your Blessings" post-sermon.
That was definitely the right note - pun intended! - to end on.
Now, off I go to Olive Garden...
I have a lunch date with my first niece and her darlin' daughters!
i thank You, God!

No comments: