Saturday, March 6, 2021

improv way 2 gekko

When GEICO informed me last month that my three-year discount for taking the defensive driving course in 2018 was up, dread set in.

The prospect of having hours of dull lectures on information I already knew, of being forced to listen to yet again... bleahhh, as Snoopy would say.

I put it off as long as I could, then went to the link to see my options.

Oh, wow, there's an improv comedy group with an approved course???

And it's even at a discounted price???

Seriously... what's the catch???

There wasn't one.

Really, truly, most sincerely.

I had immediately started the lessons as soon as I'd signed in, to see just what tricks awaited, to find out if it was too good to be true.

Two hours later, I was halfway to done, and rather enjoying myself to boot.

Denise, the host, provided entertaining tidbits of personal experiences to make the lessons more personable and relatable.

Jeff, the instructor, provided a running monologue to accompany the pictures and short videos that accentuated the lesson at hand.

Professor Gray Matter - complete with lab coat and white board (bearing the formula for impacts everywhere: F=ma) - provided the science behind the story, so you know I liked that part very much!

Plus, Traffic Safety Man was in animated videos to add entertainment value, as well as three rules to avoid aggressive drivers. (First, pretend you know the aggressive driver and try not to react harshly toward them. Second, take a moment to rate the situation for severity. Third, just breathe and let the moment pass.)

Honestly, I can hardly believe I'm going to get the safe driver discount from this.

If I'd realized online driving school would be this much fun, 
I'd have already had it done!

Oh, did I mention the catchy little song?

"Acknowledge, witness, modify,
watch your safety multiply.
Acknowledge, witness, modify, 
it's the way to drive!"

I also learned about SPIDER (scan; predict; identify; decide; execute; response), an acronym I don't remember seeing before.

Seriously... I'm getting a break on my car insurance for this?

Hallelujah!!!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Woohoo!
Yep, I've gotten my adjusted premium after taking the IMPROV course and I'm saving...
$22.30 per six-month period!
And that isn't just for this period, either.
It'll be applied for EVERY 6-month period until 2024.
Woohoo!!!