Wednesday, October 27, 2021

all done, with a day left over

I even managed to see two brand-new movies this time around with my A*List, so, hooray!
"Ron's Gone Wrong" was my Faustina Friday flick and was actually the opposite of the message I had expected. Namely, it did not preach that parents should buy the latest electronic gadgets for their kids. Refreshing, right?
Plus, it was all about the point of being a kid: to have fun, to try new things, to meet new people and learn about others.
Come to think of it, that's the point of being an adult, too.
However, none of that can happen if the curtain of ether is always acting as a wall.
Hey, take it from a chemist: air has mass, too, just as do bricks or stones or wood.
'Nuff said 'bout that.
(smile!)
No movies over the weekend, but that's nothing new for me during the pandemic.
I've found it best to let the non-regulars, i.e., teens, have the run of the joint, especially at the AMC 11, to keep from having them "just drop by" into the screening room I might be in and disrupt my movie.
Yeah, 'nuff said 'bout that, too.
Plus, I had the pumpkin party in the countryside!
(smile!)
Tina Tuesday found me and dos de mis tres amigas in the BigD for the "Dune" movie!
Neither of them had read the Frank Herbert novel, much less the series.
Neither had seen the movie version from 1984, either, but I had... and it was bad: choppy, bad sequencing, missing plot points.
When I'd seen that earlier one, I was very current with the novels; that's been almost four decades ago now, so I was curious how much would come back to me.
Well, let me say this: the 2021 remake is fabulous.
They let you know at the start that this is only part of the story - good move.
They made sure to have all of the key scenes spoken for and a believable sequence - good.
(That was confirmed by Paul, in California, who is much more current on the story.)
The highlight, for me, concerns the casting of the two lead male roles in House Atreides.
Oscar Isaac and Timothée Chalamet were absolutely believable as the father-son pair!
They are both excellent actors, but, even more so, they bear a striking resemblance in their faces, most especially in their eyes.
Perfect!
I'll look forward to seeing it again, even though it is more than two hours long.
(smile!)
Today, after a second two-hour visit with Mister Willie, I took myself to "Free Guy" for the ninth time... just in case it's gone next week.
With my arrival to the cinema mileage at 220 220, I knew I was exactly where I should be!
Thanks, odometer, for the confirmation!
I know I'm going to have serious withdrawals when "Free Guy" isn't an option anymore.
Remember: I used all three of my A*List options on it for its first week.
Totally worth it.
Totally.
I just wish I'd seen it a few more times in the ten weeks that it's been playing...
but maybe it'll stay for a while longer!
(smile!)
Mister Willie, on the other hand, is leaving tomorrow, for sure.
He and Gloria are moving to Westerville, Ohio.
That's where her son, Kevin, lives, and he's been here for much of the month helping them go through the house, deciding what to keep, what to give away, what to lose.
I have the address and Kevin's phone number, so me and Willie will stay in touch.
The good news is the town is a suburb of Columbus... which has professional baseball!
The Columbus Clippers are a Triple-A team, so I that's a couple of steps above what the Savannah Sand Gnats were - he's going to love it!
I took him the three pages of birthday wishes from the Savannah Bananas fans, some of whom have been going to Grayson Stadium for more than two decades.
Those remembrances from the fans really meant a lot to him, especially as we took the time to try to figure out just who those folks were.
He's good with faces, not so much with names.... and he's 81 now, as of Tuesday.
Guess you have to give him that memory slippage!
Okay, time for dinner!
I had stopped for groceries after the movie.
Now that I have milk again - 
as well as tuna and oyster crackers -
you know what that means, right?
Mama's Tuna Chowder!
It's hot and fresh, so... 
gotta go!
(smile!)

No comments: