Sunday, January 2, 2022

heavens above and starlite hotdog

Subtitle: Vicarious Living Through Aunt Tina, Daytona and MOAS, part 1

I did, indeed, make it to MOAS in time for the 1 PM planetarium show!
I'm not saying I understood much of it, as it was heavy on physics, but I certainly appreciated the science and math presented.
Titled "Unveiling The Invisible Universe", it included a visible comparison of the change in wavelength that accompanies a change in frequency, as well as talk of neutrinos and quarks and all manner of things the bfe would have enjoyed.
I also had a ticket for the 3 PM show in the Lowell And Nancy Lohman Family Planetarium.
(Yes, quite a mouthful, and I honestly did not notice any changes except to the signage outside and what may have been new doors.)
About that mid-afternoon show: it wasn't the one posted, but no one complained.
After all, we got the see the razzamatazz laser show normally reserved for Saturdays!
My only guess is that the young man, Christian, in charge of the planetarium was as confused about the day of the week as much as the rest of us were.
You see, MOAS was closed for New Year's Day, which was yesterday... which was a Saturday.
Then, today, a Sunday, MOAS was open again... but it sure felt like a Saturday!
So, instead of "The Little Star That Could", we were treated to "Electro-Laze", with lots of modern music and some spectacular graphics overhead!
How super-duper cool for the ten or so of us attending!
I even went ahead and got a ticket for the 4 PM "Hubble Universe" show, which was "live" as it had Christian providing a talk to go along with the images of the history of this telescope, its tie-in to the Shuttle program, and the launch on Christmas of the Webb telescope.
I thought it marvelous that the Hubble's 30th anniversary photo - of the Cosmic Reef - has been designated as the first image the new telescope will capture.
I'll look forward to that!
So, why such a fascination with the planetarium?
I've always liked them.
The Savannah Science Museum had one and I loved that informed look at the night sky.
Then, that museum closed, and the nearest planetarium is now in Statesboro.
To complicate matters, it's on the GaSoU campus, so parking is an issue.
That's why I've only been once in recent memory.
 
I figured I'd take in all the star shows that I could on this trip!
I'd originally planned on just the 1 PM and 3 PM today, with the 2 PM and 4 PM tomorrow.
Then I realized tomorrow is Monday and that last show would put me out into the 5 o'clock traffic rush.
No, thanks!
And now, with the confusion over which day of the week it was affecting the 3 PM show today, I can catch the regularly scheduled one tomorrow at 3, after the 2.
Perfect!
Of course, I took in some arts between all those courses of science!
In the Chapman S. Root Hall, adjacent to the Planetarium, was a new exhibit, "The Golden Age Of Graphic Arts: French And Belgian Posters From 1890-1930".
Good timing for me, as it leaves next Sunday!
These were all advertisements, done in Art Deco and Art Nouveau styles, with the latter being all swirls and flourishes (like in this coffee ad) and the latter all lines and angles.
Accordingly, these designs came about in the Roaring Twenties and the Belle Epoch, respectively, and I liked both quite well.
"Eclectic" - yes, that's for me!
That's a fifty-cent word for taste all over the place... including my affinity for another new exhibit, "Farm Life And Other Scenes: The Art Of Henry George Keller".
This display will remain in the North Wing Corridor throughout this month.
Most of his works were prints made from his engravings and there was even a video that showed the many steps required to make those prints into reality.
That meant all of the pieces were monotone, save one... this one, titled "Mountain Scene".
Done with pencil and crayon - yes, you read that correctly - it felt like it had marked a special memory for him, a special place with fond regard in his heart and mind.
The other new exhibit is one I would have loved to take home!
Filled with bright hues and day-glo images, with a touch of Dia De Los Muertes, it really grabbed my attention.
Of all the pieces in "Flora, Fauna, And High Color: Florida Landscapes Of Mark Messersmith", the one that made my heart sing is this one, titled simply "Dog".
The sheer joy of the animal running, running, with its tongue lolling out of its mouth gleefully as it does so, is absolutely palpable!
After my very successful outing, with full immersion into three art exhibits and viewing of three star shows, my appetite was up, up, up!
Maybe this was the day for the Starlite Diner?
Why, yes, yes, it was!
And, hallelujah, the grilled quarter-pounder hotdog was still on the menu - perfect!!!
I even had sauerkraut put on it - you know, as a vegetable, to go along with the potato.
Hahahaha!
Now, I'm back to my suite and have dvd's to watch on my laptop, as I actually brought some along on this trip.
Last night I went "Into The Night"; tonight, I'll have Vincent Price with Carol Burnett.
i thank You, God!

No comments: