Monday, January 3, 2022

a book to burn amd skies above

Subtitle: Vicarious Living Through Aunt Tina, Daytona and MOAS, part 2
 
The thunderstorm that woke me early this morning had washed the sky clear of grungy gray clouds, leaving a crystal blue in its wake, spotted with puffs of white.
No cloud cover also meant cooler temperatures - like, 20 degrees cooler than yesterday.
No worries for me, I'd planned ahead!
As I said yesterday, I still had much more to see at the Museum of Arts and Sciences, plus things to see again.
But first, to take in one of my favorite scenes here in Daytona Beach: this beautiful bridge that leads to Beach Street, location of the post office and lots of quirky shops and a nice variety of restaurants.
You'll notice I didn't take a photo of those.
This view along the International Speedway was the object of my affection!
Then on to MOAS, with my first stop being that crazy, brilliantly hued, running dog of Messersmith!
What an inspired, and whimsical, touch to have his tongue streaming along in the wind he's generating with his speed!
Also whimsical is the plastic skeleton of ... the dog? Oh, no! - of a person, along for the ride inside!
Fabulous, utterly fabulous!
I could sit and look at this one piece for an hour, easily, seeing nuances missed from my visit to it twice yesterday.
I do enjoy his other works, especially his repurposing of found items into the shadow boxes at the bottom of the large frames... I do... but this dog is magical!
My musings were interrupted by a text message from Paul in California.
"Chat?" was the only word.
"Can do!" was my response, as I headed for the garden and the walking trails.
He's home recovering from surgery on Stage 1 prostate cancer, so it was definitely an important call and a chance for me to brighten his day.
(smile!
He's normally quite active, so these weeks of rest prescribed by his doctor are a bit of a drain on his energy and good humor.
I talked at some length about the exhibits at the museum and my NYE experience; he gave me an in-depth mental image of the surgery he'd endured as well as the kudos from his doctor for the physical exercise he'd done to prepare for it.
In no time, an hour had passed and it was time for the 2 PM "The Sky Tonight" show, with Christian's live presentation!
Right place, right time!
As it turns out, the Quadrantid meteor shower begins tonight, running for the next twelve days.
I think the photo from the Hubble may be my best chance to see it, unless I want to get up about 0430 - only if I'm still up at that time!
Meanwhile, I did take the opportunity between shows to bounce to the Bouchelle Gallery for International Decorative Arts to view again these star-crossed lovers.
Romeo and Juliet, captured in a tender moment in this stained glass door - so lovely to share with my first niece!
Back to the Planetarium again, to catch - for real! - the animated video about "The Little Star That Could" at 3 PM.
Did you know that Ceres is now regarded as another planet in the area of the Milky Way Galaxy where we live?
Yep, that's true: the Solar System now officially includes two dwarf planets, not just Pluto.
I asked if Ceres was being included in classroom talks; not yet.
Over to the Root Family Museum I wandered afterward, to visit the pharmacy exhibit and the trains.
This collection of signs made me laugh out loud!
I guess that "QUIET" was meant for folks retired to bed, not retired from work! 

Oh, my, I was just about to wrap this up and saw I had not mentioned the Artful Books 2021 exhibit!
That will never do, especially as there were a couple of them in the Karshan Center of Graphic Arts that held meaning for me.
This one was the first to draw me in.
Martin Eduardo Casuso had strung together paper photos of his recently deceased brother, as well as sketches and diary entries, and then affixed incense sticks.
The work is titled "Designed To Burn".
 I think my brother Ronnie would have liked it.
The other book that grabbed my heart was from a memory shared with the physicist.
We had just seen "No Exit" at Muse Arts Warehouse, and, as I recall, it was a first experience with that play for both of us.
After it, we stood in the parking lot, talking, eventually moving ourselves and our conversation under the full moon to the Tybee pier... and leading to me writing a song/poem/rap.
So, what brought that up?
Jeannette Stargala took her copy of the play, shed its cover, and rolled it into a tight cylinder before mounting it to its stand, titling the piece "No Exit (Closed Society)".
Not only is there no exit, there's no entrance, either.
Nicely done!
(smile!)

No comments: